Monday, February 23, 2009

Republicans Love Being the Victim


The Republican quest to perpetually be the victim is alive and well under the Obama administration, this time evidenced by a conversation between the lovable criminal G. Gordon Liddy and Rick Santelli, a new hero to the right. It's fun when Republicans are so desperate for heroes that they start coming from the much maligned NBC network.
First, let's be clear what Gibbs, Obama's Press Secretary actually said:

I’ve watched Mr. Santelli on cable the past 24 hours or so. I’m not entirely
sure where Mr. Santelli lives or in what house he lives but the American people are struggling every day to meet their mortgages, stay in their jobs, pay their bills, send their kids to school.
I think we left a few months ago the adage that if it was good for a derivatives trader that it was good for Main Street. I think the verdict is in on that.

While Gibbs is clearly pointing out the disparity between the neighborhood Santelli lives in and what most Americans are experiencing, being a Republican, Santelli is forced to abandon all reasoning and take that as a personal threat from the White House. Good old Liddy is more than happy to jump in and join him in his pity party:

SANTELLI: He started that press conference saying, “I don’t know where he lives,
I don’t know where his house is.” This is the Press Secretary of the White
House. Is that the kind of thing we want? Is that —
LIDDY: It’s a veiled threat.
SANTELLI: It really is. […] I don’t really want to be a spokesman,
but I really am very proud of a) the response I’m getting, which is
overwhelmingly positive, and b) discourse, that is debate. That if the pressure
and the heat I’m taking from the White House – the fact my kids are nervous to
go to school – I can take that, okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment